When self-love is implemented properly, we can transform ourselves in many wonderful ways. It’s day two of the Self-Love Series, and todays topic is 12 Awesome Benefits of Self-Love.
The Benefits of Self-Love
1. We let go of competition and comparing.
2. We put less pressure on ourselves by being more accepting of our mistakes and failures.
3. We feel less lonely.
4. We treat others with more kindness and compassion.
5. Greater life satisfaction.
6. Increased motivation to lead a healthier lifestyle.
7. Better mental and emotional health.
8. Can handle stress better. Having compassion for yourself is a natural relaxant for the brain. When you have good self-love and compassion for yourself, you’re better able to handle stress.
9. Improved self-esteem and confidence.
10. Improved relationship with ourselves. When we have a good relationship with ourself we’re better able to understand ourselves, know our values, defend ourselves, and be there for ourselves through hard times.
11. Increased feeling of safety and security. When you love yourself you feel like you have your own back, and no matter what you go through, you’ll be here to pick yourself back up and carry on.
12. Increased self-assurance. Others opinions hold less value because you already know who you are and what your real value is.
Self-Love and Mental Health: The Correlation
Self-Love plays a huge role in mental health because it determines how we communicate with ourselves when we’re going through tough times, and influences the release of certain chemicals in our brains. During stressful, anxious situations, our brains release a chemical called cortisol which can be corrosive to the brain and body if it’s activated for too long. With excessive and prolonged cortisol, the levels of dopamine (the feel good hormone) become depleted, which causes us to not feel good. When we’re compassionate and loving to ourselves, a chemical called oxytocin is released from our brains. Oxytocin is known as the “love hormone.” It decreases levels of stress hormones, decreases anxiety, improves memory, regulates the balance of ﬂuids in the body, stimulates cell division, the healing of wounds, and more.
When we learn to respond to ourselves with love and compassion, our brains will begin to release increasing amounts of oxytocin, which contributes to the healing of ourselves on a mental, emoitonal, and physical level. What we say to ourselves and how we treat ourselves literally affects us on a chemical level. Therefore, your thoughts and words are the best place to start when it comes to your self-love/healing journey.
Comment down below any other benefits of self-love you can thinking of. 🙂
The Outline of The Self-Love Series
Chapter Two: The Benefits of Self-Love
Chapter Three: How To Love Yourself
Chapter Four: Loving Your Body
Chapter Five: My Self-Love Story
Where to now? Checkout some of my other posts: